Women Infants & Children
WIC is an equal opportunity provider. WIC es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.
The WIC program knows that your family’s health is important. Our goal is to help you and your family thrive by promoting healthy lifestyle choices. WIC benefits are for pregnant women, new mothers, infants, and children up to 5 years old (or the father, guardian or foster parent of an eligible infant or child).
How WIC helps
- Healthy supplemental foods from local grocery stores.
- Nutrition education
- Help finding healthcare and other community services
- Breastfeeding information and support and breast pumps in some cases
- Be a resident of Idaho
- Meet income guidelines
- Be a woman who is pregnant or has just given birth, or an infant or a child under 5 years old (or the father, guardian or foster parent of an eligible infant or child)
- If you feel you qualify, please contact the nearest WIC office to schedule an appointment.
- Your eligibility will be determined and you will be asked to show proof of income, address, and identification for everyone applying for WIC
- You and your children will be weighed and measured
- Your children’s growth and development will be explained to you
- You and your children will receive an iron screening (finger or toe poke)
- You and your children’s diet will be evaluated
- Your medical/nutritional history will be taken
- You and your children will be evaluated for medical/nutritional risk
At your appointment, the WIC staff will check your diet and review your health history. If you are eligible, you will receive nutritional information and counseling, referrals to other services, and vouchers to buy WIC-approved foods at your local grocery store.