Southeastern Idaho Public Health

Food Safety - Cottage Food/Farmers

Food Code Demonstration of Knowledge

The Idaho Food Code requires a Person in Charge to be present at all times of food service and preparation and who can demonstrate knowledge of food safety practices. Completion of one of the following examinations and courses meets the demonstration of knowledge requirements in Section 2-102.11 of the Idaho Food Code. Some courses will result in a fee so the user should review the course before deciding whether to use it or not. The State of Idaho does not endorse any one particular course.

A cottage food operation is a person or business preparing or producing cottage food products in the home kitchen of that person’s primary residence, or other designated kitchen or location. Cottage food products are foods that are not sensitive to time and temperature controls. These products may only be sold directly to an end user. This means that these products may not be sold by a third party. Possible locations that these items may be sold are farmers’ markets, roadside stands, and the internet. Cottage foods include but are not limited to:

  • Fruit jams and jellies
  • Fruit pies
  • Breads
  • Cakes
  • Pastries
  • Cookies
  • Candies and confections Dried fruits
  • Dry herbs
  • Dry seasoning and mixtures
  • Cereals
  • Trail mixes and granola
  • Nuts
  • Vinegar
  • Popcorn and popcorn balls
  • Cotton candy

If sold directly to a customer these items do not require a food license to prepare, but many venues do require that Southeastern Idaho Public Health (SIPH) be contacted to determine if a license is required. To assist with this, you may print and fill out a Cottage Food Risk Assessment Form from our site or at and have it signed by an Environmental Health Specialist at SIPH. The Environmental Health office will accept completed forms that are hand delivered to any of our offices, faxed to 234-7169 or mailed to 1901 Alvin Ricken Drive. Please remember to submit a copy or rendition of your products label with the completed Assessment Form.

The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare (IDHW) will maintain applicable and updated information related to cottage foods. This information may be reviewed at IDHW may add to or delete food products from the list above. Notice of changes and the nature of the changes will be posted on the Food Protection Program’s website.

Food Safety - Farmers
Food Safety - Cottage Food/Farmers
$  Fees

Food Safety - Farmers Links & Downloads

  Idaho Food Code

Food Safety - Farmers Applications

  Food License Application

Food Safety Training Links & Downloads

Name Date Updated
  Manager Food Safety State Test July 26th, 2013
  Part 1: Introduction July 26th, 2013
  Part 2: Holding Time & Temperatures July 26th, 2013
  Part 3: Poor Personal Hygiene July 26th, 2013
  Part 4: Inadequate Cooking & Contaminated Equipment July 26th, 2013
  Part 5: Adulterated Food July 26th, 2013
  Part 6: Review July 26th, 2013
  Idaho Food Safety Manual October 21st, 2013
  Idaho Food Code July 26th, 2013
  Safe Food Worker Handbook October 21st, 2013
  ServSafe® Manager Online Course July 26th, 2013
  ServSafe® Food Handler Program July 26th, 2013
  ServSafe® July 26th, 2013

Vendors Packet

Name Date Updated
  Temporary Food Booth Check Sheet October 21st, 2013
  Information Packet October 21st, 2013
  Time chart for holding potentially hazardous foods out of temperature October 21st, 2013
  Proper Stacking Order of Foods in Coolers/ Freezers to Prevent Cross Contamination October 21st, 2013
  Food Safety Is In Your Hands October 21st, 2013
  How to Pass a Food Safety Health Inspection October 21st, 2013



Our Fees

Item Fee
Food Establishment $125.00
Temporary/Intermittent $65.00
Full Mobile w/o Commissary $65.00
Mobile Unit or Temporary with Commissary $85.00
2 or More Licenses Under Common Ownership $150.00
2nd School Inspections $65.00
Plan Review Fee $140.00
These fees are subject to change.